When I learned last month that Goldilocks Bakeshop is coming up with a bakebook I was really excited. I love Goldilocks products and I guess a lot of Filipinos do. For 45 years now, Goldilocks has provided us with delicious treats. Undeniably, it has become a part of Filipino culture.
Last week, hubby and I went to National Bookstore in Robinsons. When he saw the Goldilocks bakebook, he immediately fell in love with it and told me he will buy it as his Christmas gift for me. Of course, I was very happy and delighted with it (the book by the way costs Php795, one of you may be interested to buy also). When hubby handed me his gift, he requested that I will bake every single recipe in the book. Wow, such a tough challenge for a newbie baker like me but I’m up to his challenge (kung di ko na talaga kayanin, eh di bibili na lng ako sa Goldilocks para ipakain sa kanya, hehe).
For my first Goldilocks challenge, I baked the classic brownies. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Flavor
- 2 1/2 tbsp Water
- 6 tbsp Glucose
- 6 tbsp Salter Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Corn Oil
Toppings: Cashew Nuts, coarsely chopped
Brownie Glaze: 2 tbsp Light Corn Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly brush 2 pieces 8×8 ” baking pan with corn oil then line to bottom with paper liner. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and sugar. Sift three times.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, vanilla and water and beat at low speed for 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture then mix at low speed for 1 minute. Add glucose and mix at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Switch to low speed and add the butter and oil. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour in the prepared pans and sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove brownies immediately from pan then brush with the corn syrup. Place on a wire rack and cool completely before slicing and serving.
The verdict: Hubby’s rating is 4 out of 10…a big OUCH! He said he liked my previous brownies compared to this one but encouraged me to experiment more so that I can perfect my brownies. I will not say I failed in this first challenge (at least my daughter and our househelp said the brownie is yummy). This is just the first and I vow to bake the most delicious brownies in the whole wide world. Wish me luck! 🙂