There are times when planning a meal becomes tasking or should I say you will run out of ideas on what to cook for the family (a food that will make the eater happy and satisfied). I have a husband and a daughter who are quite picky-eaters so you can just imagine the challenge on my part plus I have hypertension also so I must watch what I eat. I’m sure some of you can relate with me.
Anyway, yesterday for our breakfast I felt lazy so I just want an easy to prepare and easy to cook meal. What’s in my mind is a scrambled egg but I wanted to give it a twist, so I experimented using the ingredients I can find in our fridge. I called this breakfast meal scrambled mixes.
- 3 medium-size ripe tomatoes
- 1 onion
- half cabbage
- 2 pieces of jumbo hotdog
- 2 pieces large eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
- 1/8 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil (I usually use vegetable or canola oil)
- Saute the onion and tomatoes. After a couple of minutes, add the cubed hotdogs.
- Then add the cabbage. Mix together then add the egg mixed with the mayonnaise and milk.
- Put salt and pepper to taste.
4. Transfer to a serving plate.
This is a very easy to cook breakfast meal. My husband loved it (my daughter only eats rice with soup). Try this for your breakfast too!
For my second Goldilocks challenge, I made a waffle (a dough-based cake cooked in a waffle-iron). Actually, this is not really a challenge at all because waffle-making is absolutely easy, even kids can do it. I love waffles, so every now and then I prepare this at home for our afternoon snacks.
For this Goldilocks waffle, the recipe is:
- 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 tbsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- hotdog or cheese strips for filling(actually, you can put any filling)
- Preheat waffle maker.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and sugar. Sift 3 times.
- In another bowl, combine egg, water and milk. Manually whisk together to incorporate.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Using wooden barbecue stick, skewer the hotdog or cheese strips (or for the cheese, you can just put it on the batter).
- Fill 1/8 cup of batter in each well of the waffle maker. Carefully placed skewed hotdogs or cheese onto the batter.
- Pour another 1/8 cup of batter on top of the filling just enough to cover it.
- Cook the waffle for 2-4 minutes or until light brown in color.
This is my waffle maker and the waffles I made (12 small sizes of cheese waffles). I used a long lollipop sticks because I didn’t have the wooden barbecue sticks when I made these waffles. I just let the waffles cool first before inserting the lollipop sticks.
The verdict: Hubby and our two assistants in the internet cafe said that the taste of the waffles is really yummy. However, hubby said that I need to improve the texture (that’s his word) of the waffles. He rated it 7 out of 10 for the taste. Not bad! 🙂
Banana chocolate cupcake is one of the easiest cupcakes to make. For me, baking this cupcake is less stress, less time and less sweat that is why I love it. 🙂 I got this easy-to-make cupcake here.
To make 12 regular-sized cupcakes, you need:
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup (35 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or Dutch-processed)
- 1 cup (130 grams) All-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 1 medium sized banana)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) warm water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola, corn, or vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
First, you need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line 12-regular sized muffin cups with paper liners. Then in a bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine together the egg, mashed banana, water, milk, oil and vanilla extract.
The batter would be quite thin. You can use an ice cream scoop to put the batter in the muffin cups (just 3/4 full). Then bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. You can frost it also. Here, I used buttercream frosting which I tinted with the yellow color.
See how easy to make banana chocolate cupcakes? Try making one today!